Brief guide on how to setup a Microsoft Kinect Sensor
Install software needed to work with kinect and make sure its up and running!
Check if Kinect software is already installed on your computer
- Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features (or click Uninstall a program). You can also press Start and type remove and select Change or remove a program
- Scroll down the list until you find something that start with Kinect, you should see two programs installed, the Kinect for windows SDK and Kinect for Windows Runtime Dev:
- If both are installed, then software installation is done. If not, then follow the next steps on how to install the software.
Install Kinect Software
- You want to install the latest version of the Kinect SDK for you operating system. Click the link to download.
- Install the software after downloading it.
- Power up your Kinect with its power supply.
- Connect the Kinect sensor to your computer with a USB cable.
- Check to see if your Kinect is connected. Open up Device Manager (press Start and type in Device Manager).
- The Kinect sensor should be list as one of the attached devices:
- Your Kinect is connected to your computer.
A First Look
- In order to test out your Kinect sensor, let’s open up Kinect Studio. Press Start and type Kinect Studio.
- In Kinect Studio, select the Monitor tab (if not already selected) and click on the connect logo. You should start seeing a video stream from your Kinect Sensor, as shown below:
- Congratulations! Your Kinect is up and running.
Check out getting started with Kinect.